What are Looney Pyramids?
Looney Pyramids are a set of components that can be used to play all sorts of different games. These gorgeous game pieces come in three sizes that both stack and nest, and are currently available in 9 translucent colors (pink, red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, and clear) and 3 opaque colors (black, white, and Kickstarter green).
Traditionally, they were known as Icehouse pieces, since Icehouse was the first pyramid game, in 1986. But over the last 30 years, nearly 500 games have been designed for the Looney Pyramids (named after their inventor, Andrew Looney).
How can I buy Looney Pyramids?
New in 2016 - Pyramid Arcade is a 4 lb board game that contains all the pyramids, boards, dice, cards, and more to play 22+ games - a full library of games in one box! The box includes classic favorites like IceDice, Treehouse, Volcano, and WW5, and long awaited new games like Petri Dish and Color Wheel. Whether you are new to Looney Pyramids or have been playing with them for years, this game set will bring you endless hours of enjoyment!
Before Pyramid Arcade, we published Looney Pyramid in these little cloth bags, with expansion boxes and a separate rule book, and you might still find any of these items in some stores, even if they are sold out here at Looney Labs. You also never know when you might find one of these really old editions in a little store someplace too!
OUT OF PRINT
15 expansion pyramids
3 ea in 5 colors
OUT OF PRINT
15 exp pyramids
3 ea in 5 colors
Join the Icehouse Academy of Starship Captains
Starship Captains know at least 10 pyramid games, Space Cadets are new trainees, and First Class Space Cadets have learned at least three games.
- Join the discussion on Facebook - Starship Captain Facebook Group
- you can buy a Starship Captain Challenge Coin at this secret webstore link
Random (many very old) links to things relating to these wonderful little pyramids...
- We made a library of 30 videos about Pyramid Arcade as part of our Kickstarter
- Be sure you check out the fan built and operated Icehouse Games Wiki
- Many of the links on this page may be broken, we need to update this list
- And check out the very old Icehouse Game Design Contest page
- Introducing Xendo, Andy's all-new theme & backstory for the game Zendo.
- the old Icehouse mailing list is also still active
- Long ago Cadet Training, download a fold-up Cadet Syllabus (folding directions).
- We are no longer making Membership Cards for Starship Captains
- Many older versions of the pyramids are no longer in print
- Monochrome stashes are still available from one of our retailers
- Making an Icehouse Set
- Read about The Ultimate Icehouse Pieces - Crystal Caste made Cut Stone Pyramids!
- What's a Volcano Board?
- The Day of First Pieces: report on factory tour, 10/15/99
- Scoring with Pyramids on a Volcanic Scoreboard
- Wimping Out with Pyramids
- The History of Icehouse (including Tournaments)
- Gnostica Stickers: Add Gnostica icons to your tarot - print onto Avery 5353
- Zarcana Stickers: Add Zarcana stickers to a tarot deck print onto Avery 5960
- Gnostica Rules Reference: PDF of the one-page summary of the rules to Gnostica
- The Martian Chess Set was reviewed in Pyramid Magazine
- The Martian Chess Set was reviewed by the Game Report
- The original black box set was listed on the Games 100 in 1993
- Andrew Plotkin's Gallery of Icehouse Pieces
- Eric Zuckerman's Icehouse page
- Real Origami Icehouse Pieces
- The Icehouse Signatorium
- Eeyore's 3 player Martian Chess
- Adam's Icehouse Rules PDF Archive
- Zarf's Martian Chessboard
- Andy Looney's page about Homeworlds
- Kristin Looney's page about Volcano
Even more Pyramid Games!
- IceHouseGames.org including: Zark City, Twin Win, Quicksand, Apophis, Pylon, Torpedo, Branches & Twigs & Thorns, Nothing Beats a Large, CrackeD Ice, Ambush, Armada, Alien City, Extinction, Hextris, Undercut, Spawl, Martian 12s and 100's more!
- Games from the now-out-of-print Playing With Pyramids book include: IceTowers, Thin Ice, Zendo, Martian Backgammon, Volcano, Martian Chess, RAMbots, Pikemen, Zagami, Homeworlds, Gnostica, Icehouse.
The 22 Games
Give Or Take
Pyramid Sham Bo
World War 5